Sunday, November 6, 2011

"Fake" Mexican Food


Being from the South, where much of the Mexican culture has been integrated, I have developed very strong taste buds for Tex Mex food. Of course, if you want to get real Mexican food, San Antonio would be the place to come, but San Antonio is also a place where cheap tacos and quesadillas have become very popular. Although this may not be considered “real” Mexican food, I like it more than eating “real” enchiladas at a nice sit-down Mexican restaurant. Back home, my cousins and I would frequently make midnight Taco Cabana (typical Tex-Mex restaurant) runs for our taco cravings. This type of food is definitely something that I have missed since coming to Emory. Not only are there less Mexican restaurants in Atlanta, but also getting to them is an ordeal. During Halloween weekend though, I was finally able to satisfy my Tex-Mex craving that I have had for so long.
Two of my friends and I had waited until the week of Halloween to go the Spirit store and to pick out our costumes, so we asked a friend of mine to drive us to the store. When we got there, we realized that we should have had a few ideas in mind before coming because there were so many options. We went from idea to idea considering dressing up as power rangers, Super Smash Bros. characters, and even nuns, but we finally decided to buy super hero pajama onesies. Buying the costumes though was not nearly as fun as trying on the most outrageous costumes we could find. I am pretty sure we were having more fun Halloween costume shopping than most of the children there.
However, this outing did take a long time and the friend that took us was ready to go home. While on the car ride back though, we were talking about how hungry we were, so my friend who was driving said he would take us to eat, and what restaurant was in the same complex as the Halloween store? Chipotle. This came at perfect timing, because I was thinking to myself earlier that day that I really miss eating tacos and chips and salsa. As soon as he suggested Chipotle, we all imediately agreed and all of a sudden I felt even hungrier. I knew exactly what I wanted. I ordered three chicken tacos with lettuce, cheese, sour cream and hot sauce. This is my ideal taco and it tasted perfect. I realized how much I miss this “fake” Mexican food. The chicken was perfectly cooked and the hot sauce added a perfect amount of spiciness to the meal. The food and being with my best friends brought back so many memories of late night food runs and spending time with my cousins back home. Although I was experiencing this meal and Halloween with different people, I enjoyed it just as much. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm glad you've found something "Mexican" in Atlanta. If you want the real thing (or as close as you can get), you've got to go down to Buford Highway. But there is a new Tex Mex place in Decatur called Big Tex Cantina. It's gotten mixed reviews, but you should check it out. I would be interested in a real Texan's opinion of what they do. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete