Friday, September 30, 2011

Simple is Best


I recently joined the Karma Bhangra team here at Emory, and I knew that it would be tough to learn all of the complex dances, but what I did underestimate was how physically tolling three, two hour practices a week would be on my feet. My feet are swollen and blistered and the last thing I want to do is walk more than I need to, which includes walking to Emory Village for food, especially when I have options near by; however, last week, a couple of my friends and I decided to celebrate my birthday by eating dinner at a place other than the DUC. This required me walking to Emory Village but because it was my birthday and they wanted to do something different to celebrate, I decided I would suck up the pain and make the journey.
            One of my friends is from Cleveland, Ohio, and when he found out that there was a Dave’s Cosmic Subs in the Village, which originated in Cleveland, he was more than excited. He praised it and tried to convince us to eat there the whole walk down, so we chose to reward his persistence by eating there. It is a sub place and in my mind, subs are just subs. They can only be so good because they are just sandwiches, but we decided to try it out anyway. This place is a relatively small place with plastic windows and only outdoor seating under a canopy. Luckily, it was nice weather, unlike the 95-degree weather we had at the beginning of the school year, so it was not a problem sitting outside.
            At this point, I am thinking about the birthday tradition that my friends and I exhibit back home. We usually take the birthday boy to a restaurant and pay for his meal, so I told Hersh and Jon about this tradition that I have back home. They caught on to my hint and offered to pay for my meal, which made it that much more tasty.
            I am also a fan of spicy food. I think it adds a lot of flavor to the sandwich, so I ordered the Dave’s Far Out Chicken, made with Dave’s famous sauce, jalapenos, chicken and other vegetables. We finally got our subs after about a 10 minute wait, and were starving, so we dug right in. The first thing I noticed though after opening the wrapper was the grease that was dripping off of the paper. I had to get a napkin immediately to clean up the mess. Then I took a bite out of the sandwich. Hersh, my friend from Cleveland, was watching me the whole time, because he wanted to know if I liked the food that he put his name on the line for. As soon as I finished the bite, I gave him that reassuring nod that he had made a good decision. The sandwich was amazing. It was better than any sub place that I have eaten at thus far. The chicken was made perfectly, but even better was the sauce and flavor that complemented the chicken. I cannot even tell you what the sauce tasted like, but the combination of the sauce, chicken and jalapenos was like nothing I have tasted before in a sub. I also got my dose of spiciness that I was looking for. I will admit that I had to drink a few cups of water during the meal, but it was an extremely tasty, spicy sub. Not only that, it was free!
            I thoroughly enjoyed the meal, and gave Hersh the kudos he deserved for picking the place. It was also really nice to be able to spend some quality time with my two best friends on my birthday. It was simple and informal, but that was exactly what I wanted for my birthday celebration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment